Biography Robert Tornabene
Robert Tornabene is a law enforcement officer working with a major metropolitan Police Department. In his 26 years in Law Enforcement with progressive advancement from a patrol officer, Sergeant, Commander and Bureau Chief. Robert has over 10 years’ experience handling Crisis Communications for a metropolitan Chicago Police Department utilizing all aspects of media to interact and inform the public. Current president of the Northern Illinois Public Information Officers Association. Robert is a recognized expert in Active Shooter Training and is a resource for business, local governments and organizations in planning and development of crisis plans.
Certification & Training
Graduate in Northwestern University “Police School of Staff and Command”, Certified Public Information Officer, Social Media Manger Certified, FBI – Trained Public Information Officer State Certified Gang Specialist, State Certified Juvenile Specialist, State Certified Evidence Technician, State Certified Breathalyzer Operator, State Certified Truck Enforcement Officer, State Certified Designer Drug Instructor, Nationally Certified Police Cyclist , Nationally Certified School Resource Officer, Trained by Federal Bureau of Investigations in Domestic and International Terrorism, Trained in both basic, Advanced Reid Interview and Interrogation Techniques, Communications Tactics, Gang Prevention and Suppression Techniques, State Certified, Crime Prevention Officer, Street Survival Spanish, De-escalation Strategies for Street Survival, Counseling Parents of Juvenile Delinquents, Emergency Operations Center Coordinator, Community Emergency Response Team Trainer, Terrorism Awareness, First Responders to Critical Incidents, Haz-Mat Awareness, Landlord Training Program, Cops In Schools, School Violence Issues: Protecting Our Schools In Illinois, Rave/Club Drug Awareness Seminar, Terrorism Intelligence Specialist. Explosive Recognition: Bomb and Security Planning, PPCT Instructor Trainer in Disruptive Student Management System. Nationally certified I-SAFE Professional Development Trainer and Dignitary Protection Certified. Public Information Officer Trained, FBI-LEEDA Media & Public Relations and Master PIO Trained. FEMA All Hazards PIO Trained.
More About Robert
• Social Media & Community Outreach, Chicago, IL 2013, 2014, 2015, 2015, 2016
• Social Media & Community Outreach, Indianapolis, IL 2015, 2016
• Social Media & Community Outreach, Cleveland, OH 2015
• Teen Safety Awareness, Niceville, Florida, 2/2012
• Gang Awareness and Recognition, Santa Cruz, California, 4/2011
• Iowa School Resource Officer’s Association – State Conference 2010, 2014
• Midwest Gang Investigators Association- Iowa Chapter State Training Dubuque, IA 2009
• Gang Awareness & Recognition, Philadelphia, PA 2009
• Gang Recognition Training, Cleveland Public Schools, Cleveland Ohio April 2009
• Keeping our Communities Safe, Notre Dame University (US DOJ – Northern Indiana) April 2009
• Missouri Department of Homeland Security – School Safety Conference 2008
• Gang Awareness & Identification, Tampa, FL 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011
• Gang Awareness & Identification, Raleigh, NC 2007
• Gang Awareness & Identification, Denver, Colorado 2008
• Chicago Archdiocese: Best Practices Conference 2006, 2007, 2008
• Crisis Preparedness for Schools, 2007 – Chicago
• Gang Awareness & Recognition, Peoria, Il Feb 2007
• Gang Awareness & Recognition, U of M, Ann Arbor Michigan, May 2007
• Gangs Awareness & Recognition, GATE America 2004, 2005 , 2005 & 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
• Illinois Crime Prevention Association Conference 2003, 2004, 2005
• Illinois School Resource Officers Association Training Conference 2004
• Kentucky Association of Sexual Assault Programs, Conference 2007
• NASRO National Conference, Dallas Texas July 2005
• Presenter at the National Gang Crime Research Center Conference 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 & 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010
• Terrorism Preparedness in Educational Institutions 2004 – Chicago ICPA Regional Meeting
• Terrorism Preparedness in the Workplace 2004 – Illinois General Assembly
• Gang Awareness & Recognition Manual, 19th Edition 2019
• Journal of the National Gang Crime Research Center Training Symposium, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006,2008,2009,2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016
• U.S. Conference of Mayors, 2004 – Best Practices in Community Policing and Homeland Security.
• Homeland Security – The Role of Every Law Enforcement Officer
• School Advisory System, Illinois Emergency Management Agency
• The Ultimate Terror Attack to Cripple A Nation.
• Gangs, Terrorism and the Threat to America, MGIA National Bulletin.
• 12/27/2005 Newport Newspaper, “United, ongoing efforts fight gangs best” by Angela Forest.
• 5/1/2006 Daily Herald, “Reciprocal Reporting Agreement in U46 Causes problems for local municipalities” by Emily Ngo
• 3/1/2006 U.S. Conference of Mayors – Best Practices in Gang Prevention and Intervention
• 3/23/2009 Telegraph Herald, “Gang Busters: Officials say gangs are everywhere and taking them on involved community-wide approach.”
• 3/2009 Illinois State Deans List , Gang Awareness and Recognition” http://www.isda.us/docs/ISDAnewsNo1_Mar2009.pdf
• Twitter: @roberttornabene or @gateamerica
• Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/gateamerica
• Professionally blogging since 2008 www.gateamerica.blogspot.com
• University of Illinois at Chicago – Major Criminal Justice 1990
Awards & Achievements
• Cook County Crime Stoppers Public Sector Award Recipient, September 2010
• Recipient of the Frederic Milton Thrasher Award 2005, by the National Gang Crime Research Center for Lifetime Efforts in the prevention of gang activity.
• Awarded “2004 Police Officer of the Year” by the Niles Chamber of Commerce
• Recipient of Frederic Milton Thrasher Award 2001, by National Gang Crime Research Center for Outstanding Intervention Efforts in dealing with gangs.
• Recipient of Frederic Milton Thrasher Award 2001, by the National Gang Crime Research Center for Exemplary Prevention Programs.
• Recipient of Gang Investigator of the Year, 1998 by Midwest Gang Investigators Association – Illinois Chapter.
• Creator and Developer of the Gang Awareness Training Education Program (G.A.T.E.)
• 3 Chiefs Award of Merit
o For Community Policing efforts to reduce crime and improve quality of life issues in the officer’s COPS beat.
o Development of a Senior Crime Prevention Program.
o Active Shooter Threat Prevention training for business, public and municipalities
• 3 Distinguished Duty Declarations
o Arrest of suspect in possession of controlled substance and loaded firearm resulting in class X felony.
o Identifying suspects and recovering proceeds from Residential Burglary based on confidential informants.
o Recognition for officer’s efforts to reduce and prevent gang activity.
• 40 Performance Reports